Sunday, February 26, 2023

 I completed the oral chemo recommended by both Dr. Blumenshein and Dr. Nabel but it was not successful. The tumors in my liver and in my abdominal wall have both increased in size.  I began traditional chemotherapy infusion about three weeks ago. Since there is no chemotherapy specific for mACC, they have me on one for ovarian cancer and another for kidney/pancreatic cancer. One week, I get both chemos and the next week I just get one and then I have a week off. They are also giving me steroids and anti-nausea meds before they run the chemo through my body.

So far, the side effects have not been nearly as severe as expected. I've been somewhat nauseous but mostly just tired. Nonetheless, I am trying to stay on top of exercise and diet as well as other methods of wellness.

As far as time goes, if this chemotherapy doesn't work, I'm looking at 6-9 months.  As you can probably expect, I have run the gamet of emotions on this. I don't want to die just yet. I still want to see grandbabies and be there for my parents when their time comes. I want to travel and serve God in many ways. 


But I realize the ultimate decision isn't up to me. God is in control and I trust Him. I do. I know exactly where I'm going if He decides to call me home sooner rather than later. And I have lived a great life. I have been blessed with the best family I could have ever asked for. My parents, sisters, cousins, aunts and uncles...they are the best. And my kids....MY kids. There are none better. All three have grown up to be productive and succesful adults. I do wish they were closer to the Lord but I'm still claiming the seeds I planted in them years ago. They're young adults and I remember all too well beinig their age and questioning things. I know they will come to the right conclusions. I hope that how I handle this challenge will glorify God in such a way that they will seek Him. But I couldn't possibly be prouder of them in every other way. I mean, wow. Just wow.

I've also been blessed with the best friends. Theresa and Tim have gone over and above for me in so many ways. And my hs friends are still behind me 100%.  God has chosen to weed out a few people and that's okay. That's His job--to protect us from those that don't truly have our best interests at heart. Those whose motives are unpure aren't meant to stay in our lives. We learn the lesson of loving and trusting the wrong people and we move one, all the better for the experience. So much of the time, our flesh overrules our spirit but this is one area where I concede to the Spirit. I don't wish them harm. I wish them the best. I truly do. But forgiving and wishing someone well doesn't mean that reconciliation has to happen and it isn't going to in this case. 

I am blessed and excited with each day that I have and try to make it great. There is so much in my life to be thankful for--little things and big things.  My family and friends have seen to making sure the big things are going to happen and I am beyond excited.

I'll be going to the beach with my high school girlfriends, to L.A. with my kids, to Montana with Jeff, to Daytona with Dad, to Orlando with Theresa, to the beach again with the women in the family, the the lake with Theresa and Israel with another friend. If I'm still able, in the Fall, I'll be going to Pennsylvania and if I make it to next year still relatively healthy, Alaska and Africa!  I could not be more excited.

Additionally, I've started doing hot yoga and love it! I'll also resume belly dancing this week. I still have whitewater kayaking on the list and violin aka the fiddle!

I'll continue to serve at Greater Birmingham Humane Society and plan to add Blount County Animal Adoption in since I now live in Blount County.

I'm also planning to get involved in homeless ministry again throught thejustpeopleproject.com and since I have joined County Line Baptist Church, I'm excited about ministry opportunities there as well.

Yes, all of this seems a little ambitious for a cancer patient. Believe me, I know my body is in charge of what and how much I'm able to do. But I have no intention of just lying down and waiting to die. I'll do as much as I'm able for as long as I'm able. That's what life is all about. And I plan on living it to the fullest as long as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment